Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Another Hollywood figure dies too soon


I'm not much of a movie goer, but I have HBO & other movie channels on my wonderful DirecTV system and have watched Brokeback Mountain a number of times (yes, I admit I change the channel during the sex scenes). Heath Ledger was one of the stars, and honestly probably the best one in the movie. He was found dead this afternoon in New York and there is suspicion of an overdose. Lots of stories are swirling of suicide and depression. How horribly sad.

Ledger is the father of a little girl from a "relationship" with Michelle Williams, a co-star from Brokeback Mountain. I grieve for his daughter--first that his parents didn't see fit to marry and second that she will grow up without a father and always wonder why her dad engaged in behavior that led to his death. That is a stigma that may well taint her life.

Makes ya wonder--how can these Hollywood types have such success and yet be so screwed up?