Thursday, January 15, 2009

Orson Bean's wisdom

If you go to Andrew Breitbart's "BIG HOLLYWOOD" website (linked here) you'll get some pretty good stuff. Today there's a piece by Orson Bean that I found very inciteful. The title is:

An Emptiness Only the Holy Spirit Can Fill

Read it. If you believe in God (why anyone wouldn't I have absolutely no clue) you'll find that it's meaningful. My favorite quote? Here it is: "I believe there’s an emptiness in all of us that only the Holy Spirit can fill."

When I sit in mass on Sunday I feel whole. Maybe that's not something that non-religous people can understand. But anyone who grew up going to church gets it.

Some more from the Orson Bean article:

"The reason I became a Christian is the same reason I became a conservative: I paid attention. I watched to see what worked. If a loving Creator designed the whole mishbooker, it all makes sense. If it happened by accident and coincidence (quadrillions of coincidences), it’s nuts. So, I felt the urge to write about it, to share the so-called Good News.

God is being siphoned out of the public arena. People don’t even say God bless you when you sneeze anymore. I want to be able to lay a Merry Christmas on someone without its feeling like a political statement.

I think God loves to hear little kids laugh at fart jokes. He didn’t just make sunsets and bluebirds, He made hot babes. And dirty old men like me. That’s the modest message I’ve set out to tell the world: you don’t have to be Ned Flanders to be a Christian."