Friday, March 13, 2009

There are a lot of good guys among us

Yesterday I met an American hero.

So it's kind of a long story....but in a way I owe a thank you to our lousy state roads.

My husband blew a tire on one of the nastiest potholes we have on our state roads. He had to have his car towed to a local shop in our town. We swapped cars and he went on his way to a business meeting. Turns out when he bought the tires on his car he got the "road hazard" insurance on them (thank goodness) so he was able to get a replacement (after "depreciation" adjustment) from Sears. Well let's just say the tire service guy at Sears was kind of clueless about "foreign" cars and couldn't find the fancy tool in the car to remove the lug nuts. Well yesterday I took the car back to the great local service station that originally towed his car in after the blowout. SCOTT said sure, he'd pull the car in and both reinstall the new tire (newly balanced on what we thought might be a ruined rim) and rotate the tires for me. I said thanks, and walked down the street for a chocolate-mocha something or other at a coffee shop (it was deceptively cold in spite of the wonderful sunshine).

After a while I walked back and watched while Scott finished up. As I walked around the station I saw a picture of a soldier in uniform displayed on a shelf. SCOTT !!! I walked in the service area and asked if it was him. Yep, he said, a picture of him while serving in Iraq. Turns out he's a Marine in the reserves. I did my usual "thank you for your service" and we got to talking. I told him that I'd just gotten good news from a friend that her son was in Kuwait with his unit, returning from his 2nd tour in Iraq and how happy we were that he would be safely on his way home. SCOTT told me that he was in the conflict to liberate Iraq, and that did I know the original "call" letters for the airport in Kuwait--KIA. He said they changed that because it obviously brought up bad vibes. He said he assists with notifications to families whose sons or daughters have been killed, and talked about how wonderful he thought the motorcyclists who accompany soldiers' funerals were. We chatted about "Taking Chance" and Gary Sinise's new film (Brothers at War) and the concert Gary Sinise's band does every summer to benefit soldiers. Scott said he has another 2 years to go in the reserves but might stay longer because he's up for promotion.

So folks, if you need any auto work, please go to Duke & Lees in Geneva. Take a moment to thank SCOTT SINGER for his service. He's an American hero. Thanks Scott for your service. God bless you and all the other soldiers who do so much for our country.