Friday, February 5, 2010

Don't you love primary elections?

So on our primary election day I happened to stop in our local Walmart to pick up a few items. Truth be told, I'm a 3 time a week customer there. There's always some little thing I need and I love the self-check lines (when they work). Our local Walmart is a stone's throw from my house, and it's pretty easy to go over during the day when the little urchins are in school--I hate being in a store with crying whiny kids, so daytime is the perfect time to avoid all that--and it's usually pretty empty when I'm there. That is a perfect combo.

So there I am going through the self-check and there's a female worker I see there frequently who stands at a service stand at the self-checks. It had been snowing all morning, and as is my usual behavior, I tried to make small talk and say something cheery to be nice. It's my habit to try to talk to people--let's be honest, I love my dogs but they just aren't good at conversation (most of the time), so I like to speak to actual people when I can. Well I mentioned that the snow was stopping and how good that was because it was election day. This woman proceeds to tell me that she didn't care because she doesn't vote and won't vote because every politician and anyone who runs for any office is a crook. Hmmmmm, I wondered if she was talking about Pelosi and Reid, but tried to come back with some witty response since I realized what an idiot she was. "Well we have to vote out the crooks" I said. Nope, she continued that she just didn't vote and wouldn't no matter what anyone said.

At that point I walked out and said to myself under my breath, "Some people shouldn't vote. They're just too stupid." Yep, I hate to be a nasty person, but she is stupid. She obviously had no idea what the issues are, who was running, or why voting was important.

Reminded me of what I used to tell my students: If you don't vote shut up and pay your taxes and let the rest of us who give a damn and will vote run the country. Get the hell out of the way and let us run things.

So if anyone from the Walmart Corporation reads this maybe you should talk to your workers about how important it is to participate in this democracy because if you don't too many people may lose what little they have because they allow themselves to be taken advantage of by crook politicians. EDUCATE THEM about the process. Maybe then they'll stop griping about how "the man" (aka people who run Walmart and other large corporations) are screwing them over. They might find out "the man" is a liberal named No-bama.