Thursday, July 29, 2010

So one day last week I came home from running errands and my neighbor had kids in their backyard pool (again--it's been fairly much of a daily occurrence, and they love to be rather loud and boisterous). Well the little urchins started doing the MARCO/POLO thing (one weekend they did it for over an hour and it's maddening!) and I said, in a conversational voice (and this is a DIRECT QUOTE), "Hey guys, give it a break. You have no idea how annoying it is to hear marco/polo every 2 seconds." And then I went inside. Well the mom comes screaming over to my house, rang the door bell and went into a tirade about how I yelled at the kids (which I didn't) and how I owe them an apology (which I don't). Well she went into a further tirade about how wonderful her kids were and that I had no right to talk to them. I was stunned--told her I was sorry she felt that way. Finally couldn't take anymore (she went on and on about how respectful they are, they don't come home at 11:30pm playing music (don't know what that is about),  yada yada yada and said "whatever" and closed the door. So her little urchin lied to her. Well the bonus is they haven't been in the pool since then and it's been peaceful around here. Next time I hear them out there with their friends I'll just run the lawnmower next to the fence to have my own friendly noise! Oh ya, and I guess (according to the mom) I'm not supposed to EVER (even if in my own yard) say a word to her kids.

No, I'm not being nasty about it--it is their house and they have the right to have whomever over they want, but PLEASE at a certain point it's annoying and pretty un-neighborly. I'd love to have a 10 foot fence on that side of the yard blocking their trashy above ground pool (no deck and kind of looks like it belongs in a trailer park), but that's obviously not going to happen. But good God people, try behaving like adults and perhaps thinking that your snotty little urchin might have exaggerated a bit! This woman went from zero to 90 is a second without considering that we are pretty darned good neighbors who DON'T make noise and take nice care of our house and yard. Get over yourselves.