Sunday, January 27, 2008

The Oberweis race to Congress


Today's Chicago Tribune has an interesting article on the ongoing race to replace our retired Congressman Denny Hastert. Seems there is a lot of money being spent (Oberweis is mostly spending his own--he made it honestly, he can spend it any way he pleases) and the race has become rather nasty in nature.

As a registered Republican I've received TONS of mailers from both sides and frankly, I'm sick of it. The most offensive was the flying cows mailer that Chris Lauzen sent out--flying dead cows supposedly representing Oberweis' "failed" former election runs. Now I'm not sure if Lauzen knows this but even Abe Lincoln lost more than a few elections before finally being elected president. So Chris, who cares if Oberweis lost a few elections. At least he didn't try to change his name to JIM OBERWEIS, DAIRYMAN (some time ago Chris tried to change his name to CHRIS LAUZEN CPA---DUMB DUMB DUMB).

Now personally I like Chris, but I think my district needs someone who just might raise his voice a time or two and has the will to fight the Democrats in Congress. Chris also seems to be waging an "anti wealth" campaign--in other words, if you work hard and become rich (that's certainly MY goal) then somehow you're bad bad bad. Kinda sounds like a Democrat? But no, Chris is a good Republican, and a good family man. I guess his consultants thought that would be a good way to gain public support. Or maybe he's just unhappy he's in a primary battle against a millionaire. I don't know.

But I'm a Jim Oberweis person, and an early voter who's already voted for Jim twice (primary & race to fill Hastert's seat). I'm hoping the voters in this district will see past all the mess of the campaign and NOT elect Chris Lauzen, who seems like a "go along to get along" kind of guy. Besides, Lauzen supported instituting a tax on interent sales in Illinois. NO MORE TAXES please. I'm paying way too much now !!!