Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Candidates for Illinois Governor

It was my privilege last night to go to a Kane County GOP forum and meet 5 candidates for governor. Each was asked a series of questions and responded with well thought out answers. I was impressed by all of them (Bill Brady, Kirk Dillard, Adam Andrzejewski, Dan Proft and Bob Schillerstrom). I had a chance to speak to Dan Proft and Bill Brady about their candidacies. I can honestly tell you there's not a bad candidate among these 5 fine men. I took notes, listened intently and here's my conclusion: My vote will probably go to Dan Proft. He makes the most sense and has the courage to tell it like it is--we're under a Demon-crat stranglehold (my words) in the State of Illinois and he just might be the only guy who can bring us out of the darkness to some level of sanity.
Here are some other thoughts:
  • Kirk Dillard needs to stop referring to his time as Jim Edgar's Chief of Staff. Not everyone remembers who Edgar is (I do but I'm over 50) and not everyone cares about the past--we need to move on. He also must have the most campaign money because he spread a lot of bumperstickers and literature & signs around.
  • Bob Schillerstrom SHOUTS his thoughts (tone it down buddy)--he keeps touting how great everything is in DuPage County, but I'm not so sure about that. DuPage County is the mecca of how NOT to manage business placement--HAVE YOU EVER DRIVEN down Roosevelt Road? WOW--crowded and annoying.
  • Adam Andrez.... seems like a great guy but I don't think he's being realistic about how government works. Yep, transparency is good, but not the answer to all ills.
  • I like Bill Brady and particularly like his ideas about pension reform and ridding our state government of Blago folks. Unfortunately Brady's been in the Illinois legislature for a long time and might be well known in his district (Bloomington, but not necessarily elsewhere in the state. I'll bet his district loves him. By the way, his company built a home for a family in the Champaign area that will be featured on ABC's Extreme Home Makeover on October 25th. He did it for the right reasons--not for politics. Kudos to him for that.

    I'm concerned that ANY candidate that's been in Springfield for a while is part of the ongoing insider corrupt-tolerant atmosphere that's been prevalent for ages. Any of these guys that have been in the legislature should have been SHOUTING what crooks Blago and the others were--and I don't recall that they did. So, in my opinion, we need someone as governor who HASN'T been part of the evil cabal of politicians who have been aiding and abetting the thievery of our money for ages. So I'm thinking I'm going to support Dan Proft.